It is essential that your e-commerce website stands out among the estimated 24 million currently online.
What, though, is meant by the term “ecommerce web development,” and how does one go about making a successful online store? This article covers that ground and more. Take a look below to learn more!
What are ecommerce websites?
E-commerce websites allow customers to research, browse, and make purchases of products from the comfort of their own homes using a computer, tablet, or mobile device.
One can divide online markets into two types:
1. Vendor-specific websites
In general, e-commerce sites only feature a single dealer.
They are made and kept in operation solely for the benefit of one company, which also happens to be the only retailer on the premises. If you own and operate your own website, you have a branded space in which to advertise and promote your goods and services.
2. Multi-vendor online marketplaces
Online markets where a variety of sellers offer their wares to customers. Online marketplaces with multiple sellers, such as Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba, are very common nowadays.
While the site’s owner will still design, host, and potentially sell some goods on the site, other sellers will be able to set up shop with profile pages and sell items directly to customers.
What is ecommerce web development?
An organization’s ability to sell its wares online is contingent on the quality of the online store its ecommerce web development team has created.
The rising popularity of e-commerce websites means that your company stands to gain a lot from launching one of its own.
An ecommerce web developer’s primary responsibility is to give form to the conceptual model of a website and make it fully functional. Website development, then, is the process of making sure a site’s design actually achieves its goals.
A web developer will check the site’s links, CTAs, and forms to make sure they function properly and the site flows as planned.
Why is ecommerce web development important?
Ecommerce web development that makes it easy for customers to browse, learn about, and buy your products is essential for any business looking to establish a solid footing online.
Ecommerce web development is crucial for your business for more than just the obvious reasons.
- Your website is often the first point of contact between your business and a potential customer, so it must make a good impression. Web design expertise can increase the likelihood that a visitor will return to your site by creating a favourable first impression of your business and its offerings.
- Enhancing the user experience helps with lead generation and closing deals. To guarantee your site’s accessibility and usability, it’s important to follow web development best practises.
- Benefits SEO An effective SEO strategy should incorporate website creation. Sites that pay close attention to details like page load time, coding, URLs, and links tend to perform better in search engine results.
- You want your website to be noticeable among the many available online, and web development can help you do that. Making an investment in ecommerce web development will allow you to build a cutting-edge, high-quality site, giving you a leg up on the competition and attracting more customers.
Ultimately, e-commerce web development is a helpful resource that can contribute to your business’s growth and prosperity. Ecommerce web development is a great way to boost your company’s sales, leads, and bottom line.
The 6-step ecommerce web development proces
Now that you know the answer to “What is ecommerce web development?” we can move on to discussing how to begin developing your ecommerce website.
Make sure your online shop is as profitable as possible by adhering to these guidelines.
1. Start with a plan
The first step in creating a website is planning. The layout of your website should be based on a well-thought-out plan and specific goals.
Think about this:
- Your self-imposed goals for improving the quality of your service to customers.
- How you plan on getting your product in front of potential customers.
- One of your goals as a company is to boost sales and exposure for your brand.
The structure and layout of the site should be predetermined by the goals and strategies of the business.
2. Choose a platform and domain
Once you have a plan, you can move on to choosing an e-commerce platform and a domain name. It’s important to give some thought to a domain name for your website before committing to it. A good domain name is short, simple, and memorable; it should also convey some aspect of the business’s mission.
The most obvious choice is your company’s name. Dot-o-mator is just one example of many available domain name generators that will provide suggestions based on the keywords you enter.
Or, you can use a pre-built e-commerce platform that will walk you through the steps of setting up your online shop. An online store builder is a useful tool for making a site that is consistent with your brand’s values when you’re just getting started.
3. Create the layout
You can start thinking about the site’s layout once you’ve settled on a primary domain name and an e-commerce platform. First, you should create a sitemap, which is essentially an outline of your website’s pages.
Your site’s structure, including the pages and content you want to highlight, should be deliberate and well-thought-out.
- Product listings
- Customer reviews
- Checkout process
- Customer wish lists
If you have already created a sitemap, the next two steps of your ecommerce web development project will go more quickly and easily.
4. Code your website
Coding for the web, also referred to as “back-end development,” is an essential part of making a website. Your website will not function properly without proper coding. Your website’s code can be written from scratch or with the help of a content management system (CMS) (CMS).
5. Optimize your design
Now that the site’s backend is complete, you can focus on the frontend, which is the design and development of the user interface.
Creating a one-of-a-kind look and feel for site visitors is at the heart of design optimization.
When making a website, it’s important to consider many different aspects, such as the colours and themes you want to use, the presence of images and videos, the clarity of the site’s structure, and the happiness of your potential customers.
Making a good first impression on website visitors is crucial if you want them to stick around until they are ready to make a purchase.
6. Get ready to launch
Once you’ve finished the preceding, you can finally launch your website and start bringing in new customers and expanding your business.
However, before launching your website to the public, you should likely test to ensure that all features, especially financial transactions, are functioning as expected.
Once you’ve confirmed your site’s flawless operation, you can go live and start attracting customers. A marketing campaign to increase traffic to your site, interest in your products, and sales can only help your business right now.
Get the word out about your brand-new website by doing any of the following:
- Get on board with pay-per-click (PPC) advertising: Initiating your efforts to increase traffic with pay-per-click (PPC) ads is a good plan of action. With pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, you can bid on specific keywords to raise the position of your ad in the search engine results page (SERP) when a user searches for those terms.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) is one of the best ways to increase traffic to your site from search engines. Since it may take up to six months to see substantial results from your SEO strategy, you should get started as soon as possible.
- Take advantage of the advertising and marketing potential of social media to boost website traffic. Create a social media presence for your business and use it to tell people about your online store and encourage them to check out your offerings.
After your website goes live, it’s important to get the word out so you can start attracting more visitors and making more sales.
Your revenue-driving ecommerce web development checklist
Do you wish you had more information on how to increase the returns from your website? Make sure your e-commerce website is optimised to bring in more customers by reviewing this sales-driving web development checklist.
1. Did you factor in user experience?
By making it simple for site visitors to find the information they need, get in touch with you, and make a purchase, websites whose design and development prioritise the user experience see an uptick in conversion rates.
The fact that 89% of customers will abandon ship after a poor interaction with a company should convince you that this is something you can’t afford to ignore.
You can give your users a better experience overall if you make sure of these things.
- You successfully communicate the worth of your offerings.
- Customers are more likely to return if their needs are met.
- Your site’s navigation is very simple and straightforward, and it only takes a few clicks to get where I need to go.
- Users are enticed to explore more of your site because of how well it looks.
Your website’s conversion rate can be improved if you design it with these considerations in mind.
2. Did you plan for SEO?
Customers who are actively looking for your products online will have an easier time locating your website with the aid of SEO.
While designing your online store, there are a few things you can do to boost its discoverability in search engines.
- Taking the necessary steps to ensure your site is mobile-friendly.
- In order to improve search engine indexing, use meaningful permalinks.
- Speeding up page loads is essential.
- by emphasising a single word or phrase as the focus.
- In addition to the fact that
By incorporating these SEO strategies from the start, you can improve your website’s visibility in search engine results.
Another strategy to increase sales and income is to help customers find products online.
3. Did you use digital marketing strategies to promote your website and business?
Long-term success for your e-commerce site and business depends on your ability to develop effective digital marketing strategies.
Consider implementing these digital marketing strategies to give your business a boost after your website goes live:
- PPC (Pay Per Click) Marketing
- Marketing with content
- Promoting Products Via Email
- Marketing in the Age of Social Media
- Additional Information
Implementing revenue-driving marketing strategies is one of the best ways to increase your online visibility and boost the success of your business.
If you need assistance with any stage of your marketing strategy, WebFX, a digital marketing agency, is here to help.
AAA Web Agency — Your leading ecommerce web development company
To rephrase: do you feel confident enough to open up shop online? If your company’s bottom line could use a boost, hire AAA Web Agency, a top web development firm that specialises in ecommerce.